Monday, October 4, 2010

Designer Stone Soup


When I first heard the words “Stone Soup” in Tuesday’s class period, I was completely puzzled as to what that meant. What is “Stone Soup?” Then, Professor Housefield, went on to explain that it was originally the idea of bringing an item to be contributed into a soup or stew. However, instead of bringing food items, what we will be bringing are elements to be used in a communal based design project. Collaborations between artists and/or designers have created some incredible outcomes. A successful collaboration reflects each artist or designer’s personal aesthetic while complimenting another’s.

Being that we have been put into small groups of 8 with fellow students of similar design interests, it will be an interesting collaboration to see how each one of us works. At first, there will probably be hesitation and confusion as to where to start. But, once we get started I am sure no one is going to want to stop. I hope we will be able to see each person’s unique design aesthetic. I look forward to working with my group members and mentor.

My “Stone Soup” contribution will be a few cardboard boxes, toilet paper rolls, and milk cartons. When I thought about what to bring, I knew it had to be volumetric. I am very excited to see the outcome and to see how everyone works together.

I guess we will see how it turns out tomorrow. Stay tuned!

Image credit: http://www.ko-arts.com/soup.htm 

No comments:

Post a Comment