Saturday, October 2, 2010

A Child's Love of a Blanket

Objects of comfort introduced to a young child can create an irreplaceable bond. A popular object of attachment for children is a baby blanket. Quilts, in particular, possess a unique handmade quality that can provide sentimental value. More so, fabric choices with a family history evoke a feeling of nostalgia.

Personally, an object that had a positive effect on my life as child was a quilt given to me at a very young age. The quilt had variations of cornflower blue and dusty pinks, which created a soothing color palette. It was easy to grow and mature with. The fabrics that made up the quilt were lightweight cottons. Cotton is widely known as a fabric that will “breathe,” which made it the ideal cover-up for warm summer nights. Additionally, it was light enough to layer with a thicker comforter in the cold winters. The nubs of knotted yarn, which held the front and back of the quilt together, provided something to tug on in fidgety moments. In each square there was a heart. Hearts connote love. It felt like being wrapped in love every night. 

The blanket was not just something to sleep with. It was a plaything. There were moments that my brother and I would take turns wrapping each other up like a burrito in it. It was the perfect size for creating a tent to hide from the outside world. It became a part of me. Due to my Linus syndrome, the blanket absorbed my smell. No matter how many times it was put through the wash, within a day or two, the blanket would go back to the same smell. Scents, largely, are attached to triggering memories. Whenever I come across that smell, I get an overwhelming feeling of comfort. After 22 years, the blanket is in shambles. My grandmother has repeatedly attempted to repair it. It still smells the same and I cannot bring myself to get rid of it. It was largely a part of my daily life as a child and it still provides memories of tents, burrito wrapping contests, and love.

No comments:

Post a Comment